Tuesday, November 13, 2007

FINALLY GOT IT RIGHT

This Thursday will mark my fifth year being married to my husband, Jeff and I have not regretted for minute saying “I do” to him. I still am wondering when the honeymoon phase is going to end for us but really I don’t see it ending in some respects. I believe with him and I we started our relationship off right by laying down a firm foundation and with each year we are together, like laying bricks to the foundation, we only make it stronger. You see we started off as friends that turned into best friends and from there we moved on to being more than just best friends. Only he knows my deepest darkest secrets but then again that is the way it should be and I can’t imagine anyone else knowing what he does. I trust him more than life itself and he is the one that makes me feel safe and secure within life and being who I really am. He honors me my letting me be me without any criticism or judgment. To me that is the strongest foundation any relationship can be built on and one that will endure the test of time.

After five years of being with him I still can’t stand it when he is not around, I miss him terribly and love the weekends when we have 48 hours of just being together. Last night was the first night we spent apart and I hated it, all because of the raising gas prices Jeff thought it was best he stay at his folks to save money instead of doing five days of his usual 100 mile round trip to and from work. Now I totally understand and agree with what he is doing but it doesn’t mean I have to like it. Last night I got a real taste of what life would be like without him and I don’t even want to go there. It just was not the same not being able to hear him or see him on the computer or for that fact having a conversation with a real adult. It hit me that hardest when I went to bed (had a hard time falling asleep) and woke up and he wasn’t there. I didn’t have to wake him up for work and I didn’t get my usual kiss goodbye, I got nothing and to me it was like a smack in the face. Funny how we take the little things for granted isn’t it? But with me my routine was not in its norm and I didn’t get to see or kiss my husband goodbye this morning and this is something I don’t want to live without. I realize without him being here it was like someone cut off my arm, a part of me and I felt lost. That was a horrible feeling.

You see there are some things that go hand and hand in life and with Jeff and I we are one of those things that go hand and hand, like ying and yang, Mutt and Jeff, and Romeo and Juliet, you can’t imagine one without the other. That is how we started, people thought we were good for and with each other. If you saw Jeff you were sure that I wasn’t too far behind and vice versa. Alone we were fine but put us together we were like the final pieces of the puzzle that made the picture complete, at least that is how I look at it. I feel that I am one of the luckiest people in the world because I was fortunate enough to find my soul mate or that piece of the puzzle to complete who I am and winning the lottery could not compare to what I have now. So in that respect I won the lottery of life. Five years of marriage to someone who I know loves me, completes me, and who is and will always be there for me. Five years of marriage where we have not gotten into a knock down dragged out fight over the little or big things but five years of marriage where we trust that we are doing what is best for each other and know we got each others back when the times get tough.

This leaves me wondering what the next five, ten, or fifty years might hold for us? I do know that I will be with him until my time is done on earth and I know we will have our ups and downs but the one most important thing is I can look back over all the years we will spend together and never once regret for one second marrying him. For me it is nice to know I finally got it right and married my best friend, keeper of my secrets, and the one person who knows me better than I know myself. The only person I would ever want to grow old with and share whatever adventures life holds for us. So happy anniversary baby, I love you! Finally I close with the chorus of a song by Rascal Flatts, “God Bless The Broken Road”, to me Jeff, the chorus says it all about how I feel about you.

“Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like Northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you”

No comments: