Wednesday, September 26, 2007

DUMB QUESTIONS

Everyone at one point in life has been asked a dumb question. Lord knows I have been asked many and maybe you have to. Don’t you wish every time you were asked a dumb question you could give a smart-ass answer back? There are times when you can but unfortunately there are times when it’s not appropriate but wouldn’t it be nice to be a smart-ass on those inappropriate times? True, it maybe rude to be a smart-ass but (sigh….) you have to admit, there is some sheer joy in being one when it comes to the dumb questions we all have to face in life at one time or another.

I, myself hate job interviews, to me when you are at a job interview, they ask some of the dumbest questions. I really can’t stand it when they ask, why do I want to work for them? In my warped little brain I just want to scream out that I need the paycheck after all I just can’t get by with just my looks! Think about it, why does anyone want a job? Its not like most people have a choice about it. Another question I hate at an interview is where do you see yourself in five years? Let me see, let me get my crystal ball and I will tell you in a second. Does anyone really know where they will be in five years? I sure don’t know where I will be. Lastly, I hate the dumb question of what are your strengths and weaknesses? To that question I really want to say I have no weakness, I am superwoman! Who really wants to tell anyone what his or her weaknesses are.

In everyday life I am sure you have been asked some real hum-dinger dumb questions like I have. I have to chuckle when friends call me and they say to me, oh your home? I usually tell them Oh shit! I am? I better leave! It’s like, hello; if you thought I wasn’t home then why did you call me? Have you ever been asked by a friend when answering the phone, what are you doing? I am talking to you, duh! Don’t get me wrong, I love my friends but sometimes I just have to shake my head at some of the questions they ask me. The same goes for family, when my kids ask almost on a nightly basis what’s for dinner, my husband and I usually tell them food. They see what is cooking but for the life of us they can’t figure it out. I remember when my mom ask me the most dumbest question when I told her I was pregnant with my first child, she ask me what was I going to do with a baby? I told her I was going to raise it but I really wanted to tell her that I was going to have it and sell it to the highest bidder. Really, what was my mom thinking asking that kind of question?

True, everyone will get asked a dumb question and some of you will have the chance to be a smart-ass and some will wish they could be a smart-ass. Sure, I have probably ask, what seems to people dumb questions, but I do try to catch myself before asking them but I often wonder if someone asking me a dumb question stops and says to them selves why did I ask that? But then again, if we never get ask or ask ourselves the dumb questions, then I guess there would be no smart-asses and that wouldn’t be any fun. Whoever said, there are no dumb questions, obviously was never ask one.

No comments: