Friday, September 28, 2007

MY DAUGHTER, ASHLEY

When it comes to all three of my kids I love them all dearly. Each one of them has something very special about them that make them unique. Ashley is my oldest child from my first marriage. I had her at the young age of twenty-two, looking back maybe a little too young to have a child but never have I regret having her for one minute. The minute that Ashley took her first breath of life, she made it a point to let the world know she had arrived. Her screams in the delivery room were deafening like here I am now notice me. Believe me she got noticed. Out of thirty-eight babies born that night she was the only girl to be born. Leave it to Ashley to make an entrance into the world that way.

As a child, Ashley was the most independent, hardheaded child. If I told her not to do something, she did it, if I told her not to wear something, she wore it, and if she wanted something, she got it. If you looked up the word determine in the dictionary I am sure you would see Ashley’s picture right next it. That was Ashley in a nutshell, determine. My dad and I were always blown away by the she could work my mother to get whatever she wanted. In fact she knew how to work anyone over to get what she wanted. My mom would take her shopping and without fail Ashley would come home with a new wardrobe, the latest hairstyle, or a wad of cash from my mom. Still to this day she gets what she wants.

By no means is Ashley spoiled, that is one thing I would not let happened. My philosophy in raising my kids was to always make them understand that if they want something they had to earn it or work for it, life just wasn’t going to give it to them. When it came to school, Ashley busted her butt to achieve the high grades that she did. In elementary school she was reading on the high school level at the amazement of her teachers. Always at the head of her class, she excelled in school. Today she is paying her own way through college, has a fulltime job, and lives on her own. To say the least, I am very proud of her; she sets such a good example to her younger brother and sister on how to succeed in life.

Ashley has become the young adult I had always envisioned, confident, independent, strong, and determine. I am her mom but we are also the best of friends and I know if I need her help she will be there. I don’t doubt that whatever she decides to do, she will be a success at. It is a good feeling as a parent not to have to worry about your child succeeding in life. All my kids I know will succeed but with Ashley, I know, like the screaming baby saying notice me when I had her, is going to be the one to do something spectacular because she will accept no less.

Ashley, I just want you know how proud I am and I love you. Now, for the first time in your life listen to me and do what I tell you! Go knock’em dead for me! Better yet, I dare you. At least that way I know you will do it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww mom I love you too :) Andy was disappointed you didn't mention him lol.

Suzanne said...

Tell Andy I love him to but he needs to come over more to inspire me :)