Wednesday, September 19, 2007

MY DOG IS A GENIUS

It really did hit me today about my dog Baz; he really is a genius of a dog. Why you say? Well let me tell you how I came upon this revelation and maybe you will see, if you have a dog, how you may have a real genius on your hands as well.

I was working on my computer and I noticed that it had gotten real quite in my living room. No big deal you say? Well it is if you have an eight-month-old puppy that like kids gets into everything. So the mommy in me had to go and investigate. Well my instincts proved correct because in front of my eyes there was Baz sitting in the living room with poly-fill everywhere. You see, Baz loves dog toys with squeakers in them and when you give him one he goes nuts. So there I am standing in my living looking around thinking here it is July and it looks like I had a blizzard with poly-fill everywhere and Baz sitting there wagging his tail with such a content look on his face like, “Mommy look what I did, aren’t you proud of me? I got the squeaker!” That is when it hit me that my dog was a genius! I then realized that Baz had a goal, it was to get that squeaker out of the toy and he succeeded at doing so. Baz reached his GOAL! A simple goal yes but a goal, so this made me realize how many goals I had set out for and didn’t follow through with them. How many times I told myself I was going to do something no matter what but got sidetrack and didn’t complete them.

I went back to my computer after I cleaned up my snow-filled living room and started to think about Baz and how determine he was in the goals he set out to do. My backyard is another place where Baz has a goal. He loves to dig and my backyard is starting to look like the Grand Canyon because of his digging. He really wants to know what is under that ground and damn it he is going to find out one way or another. He also is a tail chaser, he sees that tail attach to his butt and he wants it. He will chase his tail until he is so dizzy he can’t stand but darn it he will get his tail one way or another. Finally, Baz wants to chase anything that moves, birds, squirrels, butterflies, you name it, he wants it. He acts as though he is on safari and he is the great hunter and he will get his prey no matter what and will not stop until he does so. Now anybody watching Baz doing these things will say what a dumb dog, heck even I have said it but he has goals and he is doing whatever it takes to reach them.

So you see, my dog is a genius! He taught me a very valuable lesson today on goals. I have to set goals and go for them and be determine just like Baz. I can’t give up and I can’t get sidetrack. I am going to write down what goals I want to obtain and pin them up where I can see them and not forget about them. Maybe you have some kind of goal you want to reach but with being human the fear of not reaching them stops you. After all, everybody hates to fail and nobody wants to look like a fool in front of friends, family, and the world. I bet Baz could care less what we think or what other dogs think if he doesn’t reach his goals, so why should I? The way I see it now is if I don’t try then I am a failure because I didn’t try. Today is the day I start chasing my tail and who knows I may just get it!! Thanks Baz!

No comments: